Thursday, April 1, 2010

Funny?

I do admit, reading these was not especially funny for me. They were entertaining, and I can see how they could be funny performed right, but I only chuckled at very few lines outright. Maybe this is a side effect of comedic scripts, especially if they're short. You might really have to see them in order to appreciate the humor. That said, I thought some were more funny than others. I liked the Duet for Bear and Dog, as I thought it characterized the dog really well, and the Bear also to an extent. However, I do wish it focused a little more on the bear and the dog. To an extent, I think that She, the Man and the Woman took up too much time from the others. From this, perhaps I should try making things talk that "shouldn't" and/or giving things personality that "don't" for a comedy some time. It reminds me of "Sylvia," which I haven't seen, but have heard about.

I also liked the situation and ideas in Aimee and The Philadelphia. Perhaps I'm more into situational comedy then, for these short plays. These ludicrous situations, versus Anything For You, which I didn't find as funny. It came across in the script as slightly more dramatic and awkward. Although, performed, it could be very different.

Perhaps it is the more wild characters, such as the Bear and Dog, or Madge and Larry, that are appealing to me. There actions can make so much sense for their situation or character, while in "real life" the are incredibly crazy. To an extent, the characters in The Philadelphia fit that too. They are "normal people" who are in crazy places or situations. However, their responses make so much sense. If their situation were to actually happen, I can see people doing that.

This is actually something I find most funny and would include in a comedy if I were to write one. When a normal person is in an implausible state or situation, and they still react like you would expect a "normal person" to, I find it a strong source of comedy (if it is set up as such. It can also be used in drama, I think, but that's another "can of worms," or "or basket of apples," or "jar of peanut butter," or whate'er you will). When a character can keep their personality and "human-ness" despite situations that are not normally associated with them (they are a Dog, they are a Vampire, they think that expressing love will bring about the demise of the United States of America...), it combines the unexpected with something that should be predictable, but really isn't until after you hear it or see it. It makes sense, and connects the believable with the incredible. I think this mix can form some of the strongest, most surprising comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment